Water Quality Volunteer (Quincy)
Apply now for: Limited Weekend and Weekday Availability
Time Commitment: One day (8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.) per week for a period of six months
Summary: Animals living in the New England Aquarium rely on water to keep them healthy. Our Water Quality Lab staff analyzes environmental elements for holding tanks at our Animal Care Center (located in Quincy, Massachusetts) to ensure the appropriate parameters are met to keep animals thriving.
- Collect water samples from various holding and quarantine tanks.
- Assist with the chemical and microbiological analysis of those and other water samples under the supervision of Water Quality Technical staff.
- Volunteers will be utilizing several techniques to analyze salt and fresh water, including pH meters, spectrophotometers, and titrations.
- Basic chemistry and biology background.
- Previous experience in a lab helpful.
- Must have demonstrated ability to learn quickly and be motivated to work independently.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
*This position is not located in Boston and is at our Animal Care Center located along the Fore River in Quincy. Transportation to this facility is easiest by car but one can also reach the facility by public transportation. Public transportation requires taking the Redline to Quincy Center, transferring to bus, and walking about 5 minutes.
Ready to apply? For first time applicants, make sure to register an account here, then click "Submit an Application" in the menu bar.
Already have an account? Once logged in, click "Submit an Application"!