Water Quality Volunteer (Boston)
Due to Covid-19, we are placing a hiring hold on all Classic Corps Volunteer positions. All applicants will be placed on our wait-list through January 2021. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Time Commitment: One day (8:45 a.m.-1:00 p.m.) per week for a period of six months
Summary: Animals living in the New England Aquarium rely on water to keep them healthy. Our Water Quality Lab staff analyzes environmental elements for all Aquarium exhibits to ensure the appropriate parameters are met to keep exhibits thriving.
- Collect water samples from various marine mammal, penguin and fish exhibits.
- Assist with the chemical and microbiological analysis of those and other water samples under the supervision of Water Quality Technical staff.
- Volunteers will be utilizing several techniques to analyze salt and fresh water, including pH meters, spectrophotometers, and titrations.
- Basic chemistry and biology background.
- Previous experience in a lab helpful.
- Must have demonstrated ability to learn quickly and be motivated to work independently.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
Ready to apply? For first time applicants, make sure to register an account here, then click "Submit an Application" in the menu bar.
Already have an account? Once logged in, click "Submit an Application"!