Quincy Aquarist Volunteer
Due to Covid-19, we are placing a hiring hold on all Classic Corps Volunteer positions. All applicants will be placed on our wait-list through September 2020. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Time commitment: One full day (8:00 am.-5:00 p.m.) per week for a period of 6 months
Summary: The Aquarist Volunteer position will assist staff with basic husbandry responsibilities of the New England Aquarium’s offsite holding facility in Quincy, MA, which cares for animals being quarantined and/or awaiting exhibit display. From sharks to corals to endangered shorebirds, working at the NEAq’s Animal Care Center presents an opportunity to care for a very diverse group of species, both small and large systems.
- Daily care, maintenance, and appearance of the facility, plus a significant amount of cleaning to maintain the quarantine environment.
- Additional responsibilities include food preparation and surface feedings, cleaning filters, maintaining records, organizing dry storage, assisting with the transport of animals, and providing support to divers.
- Special projects as needed, such as online research or local salt marsh collecting.
- Strong interest in biology and marine science, previous experience with animals preferred.
- This position requires physical labor, must be able to lift 40 lbs and be at least 18 years old.
- Applicant must be able to work independently and as a team; the ability to take and carry out multiple instructions in a timely manner; be comfortable working with live foods such as crickets and black worms, as well as handling deceased animals.
- Scuba certification helpful.
This position is not located in Boston and is at our Animal Care Center located along the Fore River in Quincy. Transportation to this facility is easiest by car but one can also reach the facility by public transportation. Public transportation requires taking the Redline to Quincy Center, transferring to bus, and walking about 5 minutes.
Ready to apply? For first time applicants, make sure to register an account here, then click "Submit an Application" in the menu bar.
Already have an account? Once logged in, click "Submit an Application"!