Volunteer Programming Intern
Apply now for: Summer 2021
*Fall applications will be available in March
Time commitment: 12- 16 weeks. 15-20 hours per week
The New England Aquarium is currently seeking a Volunteer Programming Intern to assist with the daily operations of the Office of Volunteer Programs & Internships. Additionally, the Volunteer Programming Intern will assist with the management and expansion of our event-related opportunities including, but not limited to, One-Shot Volunteer positions and volunteer appreciation programming. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, self-starter looking to increase the profile of service and volunteerism benefiting the Blue Planet.
This position will report to the Manager of Volunteer Programs & Internships and will be an active participant in a dynamic team of four (including three staff positions) who work to connect the community of Greater Boston with service opportunities benefiting the Blue Planet.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Assists with volunteer appreciation event development, planning, coordination and execution as needed
- Assists in developing opportunities for New England Aquarium’s One-Shot Volunteer program, including conducting research, outreach to potential partner agencies, recruitment, and onsite attendance/management
- Assist with all communications and marketing on behalf of the One-Shot Volunteer program including e-blasts, print marketing, targeted participant recruitment and online listings when appropriate
- Assists in writing quarterly e-newsletters and other email announcements to volunteers
- Answers high volume of telephone calls, responds to voice mail and email messages
- Files, photocopies, data entry and manages data within Volgistics, a volunteer management database
- Manages volunteer applicants and tracks pending applicants
- Performs position related duties as assigned
- Provide exceptional customer service to all New England Aquarium staff, volunteers, interns and applicants
- Requires minimum of 2 years of completed undergraduate study
- Interest in the fields of civic engagement, volunteer administration, communications, adult development, human resources, education, psychology, and other social sciences
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented; strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities; ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, communication (verbal and written), and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast paced environment and customer service experience strongly preferred
- Preferred experience working with diverse racial/socioeconomic populations and familiarity with NEAq programs
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and GoogleDocs required, familiarity with Hands-On-Connect and Salesforce preferred
The New England Aquarium’s mission is to protect the blue planet through hands-on programs, live animal and interactive exhibits, public lectures and forums, and research and conservation projects.
This mission is fulfilled through exhibits, and through education, conservation and research programs. Exhibits showcase the diversity, importance and beauty of aquatic life and habitats, and highlight critical aquatic conservation issues. Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue, and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience; seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community; adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship; and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, caring and action.
The Office of Volunteer Programs & Internships mobilizes more than 1,000 volunteers/interns annually in support of the New England Aquarium’s mission of protecting the blue planet. Volunteers & Interns are individually mentored by staff serving in every department throughout the Aquarium to assist in the completion of daily tasks as well as further the organization’s mission through individual growth, intentional ocean stewardship, and community engagement.
The Office of Volunteer Programs & Internships operates with the following values in mind:
Ocean stewardship is essential to the betterment and sustainability of our planet.
Volunteerism is a force for positive environmental, civic and personal change and by connecting service to ocean stewardship we are able to meet the critical needs of Greater Boston and beyond.
Volunteerism at its best incorporates accessibility and diversity of all kinds.
All Volunteers and Interns serving within the New England Aquarium deserve strong mentorship, positive developmental opportunities, a sense of connection to community and quality recognition.
*Please note: This internship is not available for the January Term.
Please register an account here and click "Submit an Application." If you already have an account, please login and click "Submit an Application."
Visit: Frequently Asked Questions