Marine Mammal & Sea Turtle Rescue Intern
Apply now for: Fall 2018
Time commitment: THREE Full Days Per Week (8:00am - 6:00pm; can extend based on volume of patients).
Winter 2017: 125 Hours total
Spring 2018: 12 Weeks
Summer 2018: 12 Weeks
Marine Animal Rescue responds to calls to provide medical treatment for whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals and sea turtles. Established in 1968, the Marine Animal Rescue Team has responded to thousands of calls providing medical treatment to stranded, injured and diseased marine animals throughout the New England coastal region. Interns provide support for Rescue staff in all aspects of the program.
- A significant amount of cleaning is required in order to maintain the hospital environment
- Follow standard quarantine protocols
- Food preparation and feeding of animals
- Restraining animals for treatments and injections
- Monitoring behavior and health of animals
- Maintaining records including water quality, daily food intake, swim charts and treatment sheets
- Interns may have the opportunity to assist with necropsies and help with animals in the field
- Previous animal handling experience
- Must be in good physical condition and able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to perform significant cleaning tasks daily
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have access to a car
Note: This internship is extremely competitive; pay close attention in addressing all of the position requirements and qualifications in your cover letter. This position is not available for January term.
*PLEASE NOTE: You must have your own transportation because this position is located at our Animal Care Center in Quincy, MA.
For Fall 2018: Please apply here
Visit: Frequently Asked Questions
Applications should be submitted by*:
Spring: November 1st
Summer: January 31st
Fall: June 1st
Winter: October 16th
*Priority given to candidates applying by this date. Full application details available here.
Can I still apply?