Giant Ocean Tank Assistant Dive Volunteer
Apply Now for: Limited Weekday Openings
Time commitment: One full day (8:00 am.-5:00 p.m.) per week for a period of at least 6 months
The Giant Ocean Tank (GOT) is the centerpiece of the New England Aquarium. It is a 200,000 gallon cylindrical Caribbean reef exhibit and is home to over 1000 animals and 100 species, including tropical bony fish, sharks and stingrays, and sea turtles. 4 feeding dives and 2 maintenance dives occur daily and are on a tight schedule. Volunteers are an integral part of our team, helping with all aspects of animal husbandry and exhibit maintenance.
· This position involves no diving, but can serve as a prerequisite for the Giant Ocean Tank Dive Volunteer (DV) position.
· DAs will provide support and assistance to the GOT dive staff in the care of the animals and the maintenance of the exhibit.
· Duties will include food preparation, platform surface/target feedings, visitor interaction, numerous cleaning tasks (daily, weekly, monthly), laundry, frozen food pulling, assistance with medical and animal acclimation procedures.
· Must be at least 18 years of age.
· Must be able to lift 60 pounds.
Note: After 200 hours, DAs may be eligible to apply for the Giant Ocean Tank Dive Volunteer position, depending on volunteer’s performance, open water dives logged, and position availability. Although completion of the DA position serves as a prerequisite for the Dive Volunteer position, it does not guarantee a spot on the Dive Volunteer Team. Individuals interested in advancing to the Dive Volunteer Program must meet all criteria. All interested individuals must understand that even when all criteria are met, they may be wait-listed, depending on availability of current Dive Volunteer positions.
Ready to apply? For first time applicants, make sure to register an account here, then click "Submit an Application" in the menu bar.
Already have an account? Once logged in, click "Submit an Application"!