Giant Ocean Tank Assistant Dive Volunteer
Apply Now for: Limited Weekday Openings
Time commitment: One full day (8:00 am.-5:00 p.m.) per week for a period of 6 months
Summary: The Giant Ocean Tank is a 200,000 gallon cylindrical Caribbean reef exhibit situated in the center of the Aquarium. It is home to over 600 animals and 130 species, including tropical fish, sharks, and sea turtles. 4 feeding dives and 2 maintenance dives occur daily and on a schedule. Volunteers are an integral part of our team, helping with all aspects of animal husbandry and tank maintenance.
- This position involves no diving, but can serve as a prerequisite for the Giant Ocean Tank Dive Volunteer position.
- DAs will provide support to the Giant Ocean Tank dive staff and senior dive volunteers in the care and maintenance of the exhibit.
- Duties will include daily food preparation for the Giant Ocean Tank inhabitants, surface feedings, equipment repair and maintenance, cleaning of the food prep room and other support areas.
- The candidate will also provide support and assistance to the dive staff and senior dive volunteers with all aspects of Giant Ocean Tank surface work.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
Note: After 200 hours, DAs may be eligible to apply for the Giant Ocean Tank Dive Volunteer position, depending on volunteer’s performance, open water dives logged, and position availability. Although completion of the DA position serves as a prerequisite for the Dive Volunteer position, it does not guarantee a spot on the Dive Volunteer Team. Individuals interested in advancing to the Dive Volunteer Program must meet all criteria. All interested individuals must understand that even when all criteria are met, they may be wait-listed, depending on availability of current Dive Volunteer positions.
Ready to apply? For first time applicants, make sure to register an account here, then click "Submit an Application" in the menu bar.
Already have an account? Once logged in, click "Submit an Application"!