Aquarium Medical Center Internship
Apply now for: Spring 2019
Time commitment: THREE Full Days Per Week (8:30am - 5:00pm) for 12 Weeks
The New England Aquarium is currently seeking an Aquarium Medical Center Intern to assist with the daily operations of the Animal Health Department. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, self-starter looking to gain knowledge in the field of aquarium veterinary medicine and general animal health. The candidate will report to the Biologists or Veterinary Technicians in the Animal Health Department.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Interns will assist with preventative medicine, medical treatments, quarantine, pathology, laboratory diagnostics, and data entry under the supervision of the technician or biologists
- Interns will gain exposure to a wide variety of the aquarium collection including reptiles, amphibians, fish, and occasionally birds and marine mammals
- Interns are expected to produce a 15-30 minute power point presentation and complete assigned projects
- Attend two professional development lunches with the Volunteer Programs and Internships Office
- Must have previous experience with animal care and handling
- A background in college-level basic sciences, especially Biology and Zoology, is desired
- The position requires physical tasks. Applicants must be able to life and carry 50 lbs
- Must be able work independently
The New England Aquarium’s mission is to protect the blue planet through hands-on programs, live animal and interactive exhibits, public lectures and forums, and research and conservation projects.
This mission is fulfilled through exhibits and education, conservation, and research programs. Exhibits showcase the diversity, importance, and beauty of aquatic life and habitats and highlight critical aquatic conservation issues. Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience, seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community, adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship, and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, care, and action.
The Aquarium Medical Center (AMC) is the primary workspace for our Animal Health Department. It consists of a hospital ward for sick or injured animals, a surgical suite, a radiography room, pharmacy, a diagnostic lab, an environmental quality lab, and a necropsy suite. The Animal Health Department consists of veterinarians, a veterinary technician, marine biologists, a laboratory manager, and an environmental quality manager and technicians.
Spring 2019: Applications will open in October.
Visit: Frequently Asked Questions
Applications should be submitted by*:
Spring: November 1st
Summer: January 31st
Fall: June 1st
Winter: October 16th
*Priority given to students applying by this date. Full application details available here.
Can I still apply?