The Susie Buttrick Award is named after our longest running volunteer here at the Aquarium. This award provides the opportunity for a department to provide enrichment to their volunteers’/interns’ experiences at the New England Aquarium. This grant is awarded to a department that meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Develops a thoughtful recognition program for their volunteers and interns.
- Implements additional professional development or training of volunteers/interns.
- Utilizes the skills and expertise of volunteers for a special project, providing
- volunteers and interns with a sense of connection to the department and to the New England Aquarium.
- Hosts and implements a project initiated by a volunteer or intern.
The 2018 recipient of the Susie Buttrick Award is the Quincy Animal Care Center, Animal Husbandry Team. The Husbandry Team will be using their award to streamline water quality data collection. A new digital platform will be used to go paperless, improve training materials for new volunteers, and keep data collection simple and consistent across each day of the week.