Marine Mammals Husbandry Volunteer Position
Due to Covid-19, we are placing a hiring hold on all Classic Corps Volunteer positions. All applicants will be placed on our wait-list through January 2021. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Time Commitment: One full day (8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) per week for a period of 6 months
Summary: The Marine Mammal Department maintains two outdoor pinniped exhibits featuring Atlantic harbor seals, northern fur seals, and California sea lions. Volunteers assist training staff in all aspects of animal care and have the opportunity to learn more about operant conditioning, training techniques and marine mammal husbandry. Although this position does not involve feeding or training the seals, volunteers play an integral role assisting staff during training sessions and presentations, and work in close proximity to the animals.
· Volunteers are incorporated into the daily activities of the Marine Mammal Department including:
- Diet preparation
- Cleaning exhibits and behind the scenes areas
- Scrubbing and disinfecting items used during training sessions
- Assisting trainers during training sessions and presentations
- Creating toys for the animals
- Conducting enrichment sessions
- Option of speaking in public presentations
- Interact informally with Aquarium visitors
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old.
- Volunteers must feel comfortable bending and walking on uneven and wet terrain and be able to lift 50 lbs.
- The job involves a substantial amount of cleaning with various cleaning agents.
- Our exhibits are outdoors so volunteers must be comfortable being exposed to all weather conditions.
Ready to apply? For first time applicants, make sure to register an account here, then click "Submit an Application" in the menu bar.
Already have an account? Once logged in, click "Submit an Application"!