Galleries Dive Volunteer
Time commitment: 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. OR 1p.m.-5p.m. every Thursday for a period of 6 months
Summary: Volunteer divers will assist Galleries staff with in-water cleaning and maintenance of a variety of exhibits including the Indo-Pacific Coral Reef and the Blue Hole as well as other fresh and saltwater exhibits and holding tanks.
NOTE: Candidates MUST be SCUBA certified from a nationally recognized dive training program at the time of application.
- Maintenance work includes window cleaning, scrubbing exhibit rockwork, habitat, walls, and floors, vacuuming gravel, siphoning, and moving habitat.
- Divers must be able to communicate clearly with all staff as well as follow written or verbal instructions.
- Divers will be required to dive in a variety of indoor exhibits and holding tanks dependent on daily needs.
- Divers will be expected to do some non-diving maintenance and cleaning in exhibits while in wetsuit.
- Divers may dive solo on exhibit with a surface tender or with another diver.
- SCUBA certification by a nationally recognized dive training program.
- Must have logged a minimum of fifteen (15) open water dives, at least five (5) of which must have taken place in the last twelve (12) months. These dives are in addition to certification checkout dives
- Medical clearance to dive based on requirements outlined in NEAq Medical Dive Forms.
- Completion of a Giant Ocean Tank checkout dive under the supervision of the NEAq Dive Safety Officer.
- Ability to walk on wet, slippery surfaces in full scuba gear and must be able to lift forty (40) pounds unassisted.
- Physical demands may also include bending, stooping, repetitive motion, lifting, reaching, climbing and swimming.
Ready to apply? For first time applicants, make sure to register an account here, then click "Submit an Application" in the menu bar.
Already have an account? Once logged in, click "Submit an Application"!