Time commitment: One full day (8:00 am.-6:00 p.m.) per week for a period of 6 months
Summary: Assist staff with animal husbandry responsibilities of the New England Aquarium's penguin colony that is home to multiple temperate climate penguin species.
- Prepare food and maintain food preparation area.
- Clean the penguin exhibit and support area, including washing islands, scrubbing algae/guano, vacuuming pool and rock climbing on penguin islands.
- Feed penguins and record daily intake for individual birds, observe and monitor the penguins' behavior and physical state.
- Informally respond to visitors’ questions regarding penguin colony.
- Must be 18 years old and be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Also must be over 5'4" due to safety and liability concerns (our exhibit is deeper in certain spots).
- Biology, marine science or animal science experience preferred.
- Previous experience with animals desired, but not absolutely necessary.
- Requires physical labor, including significant bending and climbing (may be very difficult for someone with current or former knee injuries).
- This position involves heavy cleaning duties.
- Requires standing in 50-60 degree F water for at least 5-6 hours.
- Must be able to interact informally with Aquarium visitors.
Special Requirements: Bathing suit required, wool socks recommended
Please Note: In general, research proposals will not be accepted.
Ready to apply? For first time applicants, make sure to register an account here, then click "Submit an Application" in the menu bar.
Already have an account? Once logged in, click "Submit an Application"!