Penguin Colony Intern
Apply now for: Summer 2022
*Fall applications will be available in April. Winter & Spring applications will be available in August
12-16 weeks. At least Two Full Days Per Week (8:00 am - 5:00 pm)
Summary: The New England Aquarium’s Penguin Colony is an open air, 150,000 gallon saltwater exhibit. It has 6 manmade islands with water temperatures ranging from 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit. It is home to multiple temperate climate penguin species.
Penguin Colony Interns assist the penguin staff with the daily husbandry and programming requirements for the exhibit.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare food twice a day for the penguins
- Help maintain and organize food preparation area
- Assist with the cleaning of the penguin exhibit and support area; This involves washing/ scrubbing habitats and disinfecting materials
- Assist the staff with feeding the penguins by recording daily intakes for individual birds and document observations of behaviors
- Will be responsible for formal presentations given to the Aquarium’s visitors
- Biology, Marine Science or Animal Science major preferred but not required; Previous experience with animals desired
- This position requires extreme physical labor including crawling, lifting, bending, reaching, and scrubbing while rock-climbing; 90 % of this work is done wearing a coldwater neoprene SCUBA diving suit
- This position involves heavy cleaning duties
- It requires standing in 50-60 degree Fahrenheit water for at least 5-6 hours
- Applicant must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Due to the water level, applicants must be at least 5'4"
**** Because of the physical demands, this position may be difficult for people with active or former knee and back injuries.
- Wool socks
- Long sleeve rash guards or lycra skins
- Bathing suits
Special Note: In general, research proposals or semester projects will not be accepted.
Visit: Frequently Asked Questions