Marketing and Communications Intern
Apply now for: Spring 2019 applications will be opening in October.
Time commitment: 2-3 Days per week for 12 weeks
The New England Aquarium is currently seeking a Marketing Intern to assist with the daily operations of the Marketing and Communications department. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter interested in the fields of marketing, advertising and media relations. Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with the media, the public and Aquarium personnel are required.
This position will report to the Marketing Manager and will be an active participant in a very busy group.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Assist with on- and off-site promotional events with radio stations and media partners
- Maintain the media and job books for the current year’s advertising and collateral
- Assist in publishing Aquarium events to online events calendars
- Fulfill requests for marketing materials, brochures and images
- Researching and sorting of photographs for the Aquarium image database
- Coupon tracking and reporting
- Assist with content and contests on social media, such as Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
- Creative brainstorming and storyboarding for upcoming Aquarium programs
- Opportunity to witness and assist in large scale advertising campaigns, such as summer theme programs
- Assist Media Relations Director with on and offsite media opportunities
- Drafting press releases and media advisories and helping to pitch them to the media
- Assist with writing short copy for internal and external Aquarium marketing materials
- Performs position related duties as assigned
- Provide exceptional customer service to all New England Aquarium staff, volunteers, interns and applicants
- Requires minimum of 2 years of completed undergraduate study
- Interest in the fields of marketing, advertising, communications, and media relations
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented; strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities; ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, communication (verbal and written), and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast paced environment
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
The New England Aquarium’s mission is to protect the blue planet through hands-on programs, live animal and interactive exhibits, public lectures and forums, and research and conservation projects.
This mission is fulfilled through exhibits, and through education, conservation and research programs. Exhibits showcase the diversity, importance and beauty of aquatic life and habitats, and highlight critical aquatic conservation issues. Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience; seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community; adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship; and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, caring and action.
For Spring 2019: Spring 2019 applications will be opening in October.
Visit: Frequently Asked Questions
Applications should be submitted by*:
Spring: November 1st
Summer: January 31st
Fall: June 1st
Winter: October 16th
*Priority given to candidates applying by this date. Full application details available here.
Can I still apply?