Giant Ocean Tank Intern
Apply now for: Spring 2021, Summer 2021
*Winter applications are not being accepted at this time
*Fall applications will be available in March
The Giant Ocean Tank (GOT) is the centerpiece of the New England Aquarium. It is a 200,000 gallon Caribbean reef exhibit and is home to over 1000 animals and 100 species, including tropical bony fish, sharks and stingrays, and sea turtles. 4 feeding dives and 2 maintenance dives occur daily and are on a tight schedule. Interns are an integral part of our team, helping with all aspects of animal husbandry and exhibit maintenance.
· Diving in the GOT for underwater feedings and maintenance tasks
· Daily food preparation
· Cleaning of all support areas
· Platform surface/target feedings
· Visitor interaction
· Frozen food pulling
· Assistance with medical and animal acclimation procedures
· Must be at least 18 years old
· Must be able to lift 60 pounds
· Must be able to pass a diving-specific physical and a checkout dive with our diving safety officer (DSO)
· All prospective dive interns must have logged a minimum of 15 (not including certification checkout dives) open water dives, at least 5 of which have taken place in the previous 12 month period
The New England Aquarium’s mission is to protect the blue planet through hands-on programs, live animal and interactive exhibits, public lectures and forums, and research and conservation projects.
This mission is fulfilled through exhibits, and through education, conservation and research programs. Exhibits showcase the diversity, importance and beauty of aquatic life and habitats, and highlight critical aquatic conservation issues. Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue, and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience; seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community; adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship; and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, caring and action.
Please click here. If you have not registered an account, please register an account and click "Submit an Application." If you are already have an account, please login and click "Submit an Application."