Visitor Education Volunteer
Apply now for: Limited weekday and weekend availability.
Time commitment: 4 hours minimum per week for a period of 6 months. Shifts begin at 9am or 1pm and are available seven days per week.
Summary: Visitor Education Volunteers are ambassadors, representing the New England Aquarium by engaging visitors of all ages and backgrounds in one on one : conversations and small or large group presentations. Don't know a lot about marine science or how to talk to visitors? Don't worry! We mentor each volunteer at their own pace to prepare them with all the fun facts, information and teaching tips needed to become a highly engaging Visitor Educator.
· Answer questions from the public, initiate conversations with visitors, work with fun biofacts, and demonstrate appropriate animal handling of our live touch tank animals.
Training is required and available free of charge to volunteers and include topics such as marine science, addressing different environmental issues such as climate change and over fishing, natural history, public speaking skills, and communicating effectively with different age groups.
· Hands will be in and out of cold water for up to 30 minutes per touch tank shift.
- Must have enthusiasm, and interest in meeting and working with a high volume of aquarium visitors daily.
- Willingness to learn about Aquarium exhibits and marine science.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in noisy and crowded conditions
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be comfortable moving up and down stairs throughout the day
- Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds
Please note: applicants under the age of 18 are required to provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher, employer, or community leader.
Ready to apply? For first time applicants, make sure to register an account here, then click "Submit an Application" in the menu bar.
Already have an account? Once logged in, click "Submit an Application"!