Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Apply Now! Edge of the Sea Education
Recruiting for: Winter 2018-Spring 2019
Time commitment: 4.5 hour training and a commitment of at least 6 three-hour shifts by May 31, 2019. Shifts are 11am-2pm, 12pm-3pm, or 1pm-4pm. Weekdays preferred.
Accepting applications for the next training: Saturday, December 8th, 11am-3:30pm.
Summary: Edge of the Sea Educators are ambassadors, representing the New England Aquarium by engaging visitors of all ages and backgrounds in one on one conversations about our tidepool touch tank animals and a variety of biofacts (animal artifacts). Don't know a lot about tidepool animals or how to talk to visitors? Don't worry! We provide training and mentorship to prepare volunteers with all the fun facts, information, and teaching tips needed to become a highly engaging Edge of the Sea Educator.
- Answer questions from the public, initiate conversations with visitors, and work with fun biofacts.
- Each shift will be structured as 1 hour at the touch tank, followed by an hour of interpreting with biofacts, and finishing with another hour at the touch tank.
- Training is required and available free of charge to volunteers and includes topics such as animal identification, husbandry, basic biology, visitor/animal safety, public speaking skills, and communicating effectively with different age groups.
- Attend a training class on Saturday, December 8th, 11am-3:30pm
- Completion of at least 6 volunteer shifts by May 31, 2019
- Must have enthusiasm and interest in meeting and working with a high volume of aquarium visitors daily
- Must possess a willingness to learn about tide pool animals, their habitats, and a variety of animal artifacts
- Must be able to communicate effectively in noisy and crowded conditions
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be comfortable moving up and down stairs throughout the day
- Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds
- Must be comfortable spending long periods of time with hands in cold water.
- Age Requirements: at least 18 years old.
- Priority will be given to applicants with weekday availability
To apply, click "Express Interest" below. Succesful applicants will complete an interview with Aquarium staff.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: