Event Planning and Coordination Intern
Apply now for: Summer 2023!
*Fall applications will be available in April. Spring and Winter applications will be available in August.
Time Commitment: 2-3 Days per week, some nights and weekends
The New England Aquarium is currently seeking an Events Intern to assist with the operations of the event planning and catering offices. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter studying hospitality or event planning as a career, and will demonstrate an interest in hands-on experience with clients and event staff. The position will report to the Catering Manager and Event Manager and will be a member of our events team comprised of over 70 staff members who service all private events for the New England Aquarium.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Assists Catering Manager in the following:
- Participating in planning phone calls and tastings with clients
- Observing site tours for clients in the initial sales process with the Sales Managers
- Participating in site tours of the event space for contracted clients with the Catering Manager
- Learning to utilize floor plan software, Room Viewer, and assisting to update floor plans for upcoming events
- Learning to utilize database software, Caterease, and assisting to update Banquet Event Orders (BEOs) for upcoming events
- Attending the bi-monthly Catering Meeting to observe how the Sales Team and Events Team correspond
- Assisting the Catering Manager onsite for weddings and social events which includes talking with brides and grooms and their bridal parties and families, setting out wedding accessories, helping arrange the bridal party for ceremonies and introductions, and generally assisting the Catering Manager to learn the "behind the scenes" of executing weddings and social events
Assists Senior Event Manager in the following:
- Weekly linen orders
- Attending the weekly Operations Meeting (BEO Meeting) and taking notes to assist in executing upcoming events
- Assisting to create food station floor plans for the execution of event receptions
- Assisting the Sr. Event Manager on the floor during an event to interface with the client and event staff and oversee the management of events
- Assisting the Executive Sous Chef with weekly food purchasing
- Shadowing the Café and IMAX managers to oversee the daily duties of a restaurant manager
- Requires minimum 1 year of completed undergraduate study
- Interest in the field of hospitality, event management, event planning, restaurant management and other hospitality related fields
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented; strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities; ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Demonstrated experience working in hospitality or another form of customer service strongly preferred
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
- 12 week commitment starting September 2016
- 10-15 hours/week
- This position will require some evening and weekend shifts
The New England Aquarium's mission is to protect the blue planet through hands-on programs, live animal and interactive exhibits, public lectures and forums, and research and conservation projects.
This mission is fulfilled through exhibits, and through education, conservation and research programs. Exhibits showcase the diversity, importance and beauty of aquatic life and habitats, and highlight critical aquatic conservation issues. Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience; seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community; adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship; and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, caring and action.
The Events department at the New England Aquarium is composed of a diverse group of planners, on-site managers, and culinary professionals who help to craft and execute over 200 events annually. Our yearly contribution represents nearly one quarter of the operating budget for the institution's endeavors. We have the privilege of hosting over 25,000 private attendees to experience the Aquarium after hours and in private. No two events are alike and hosting a function inside a working aquarium is an experience unlike any other. With that in mind, we are seeking candidates who:
- Can protect and respect our amazing collection of animals
- Understand and embrace our commitment to environmental protection
- Adapt to the unique & specific challenges associated with event production here
- Deliver world-class service at a top tier institution
- Be eager to learn and thrive in a busy and dynamic environment
Please register an account here and click "Submit an Application." If you already have an account, please login and click "Submit an Application."