Currently only offered in summer cycles.
Please note that this position is 100% remote.
The ‘blue economy’ is a newer term used to describe the economic activities that occur in and around the ocean. The blue economy includes many sectors, including fishing and aquaculture, ports and maritime, shipyards, defense, energy generation, scientific exploration, and recreation.
The BalanceBLUE Lab is seeking an intern to assist with a number of initiatives aiming to educate investors interested in growing the blue economy on various issues regarding the ocean. The end goal is to supply investors with the information they need to feel comfortable in supporting businesses and ideas that can deliver significant environmental and social benefit.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Help identify innovative and technological solutions that enhance ocean health, sustainable ocean industry, and global resilience.
· Perform literature searches on a variety of topics related to ocean use and conservation.
· Help develop e-learning modules and white papers aimed at non-technical audiences.
· Assist with outreach opportunities to a variety of external stakeholders, including scientists, NGOs, and industry professionals.
· Minimum of two years of completed undergraduate study.
· Excellent writing and communication skills, including communicating scientific information to a non-technical audience.
· Coursework in environmental science, marine biology, or a similar field, with a basic understanding of and interest in a variety of topic areas, including but not limited to: fisheries and aquaculture, offshore renewable energy, marine debris and pollution, coastal climate adaptation and resiliency, blue technology, and business.
· Experience conducting independent research using online scientific journal databases, developing literature reviews.
· Must be highly self-motivated, with the ability to work flexibly and independently.
· Experience with developing e-learning modules or other educational materials a bonus.
With a vision for a vibrant and vital ocean for future generations, the New England Aquarium (NEAq) promotes sustainable and responsible growth of the “blue economy”; one that safeguards ocean habitats, species, and ecosystems. NEAq is committed to guiding, validating, and convening to help build a more resilient blue innovation ecosystem. To that end, the Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life’s (ACCOL) BalanceBLUE Lab drives entrepreneurs, corporations, and ocean industries towards ocean-friendly practices, sustainability goals, and climate adaptation strategies. Building off decades of experience, partnerships, and deep technical and scientific expertise, NEAq’s ACCOL is the objective ocean conservation voice for New England in aquaculture, offshore wind, fisheries, shipping, marine spatial planning, marine mammals, environmental impact assessment, climate adaptation and resiliency.
Please click here. If you have not registered an account, please register an account and click "Submit an Application." If you are already have an account, please login and click "Submit an Application."