Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Apply Now: Turtle Emergency Response Volunteer
Time commitment: 2 shifts (8:00am to 6:00pm) between January 6th, 2019 and February 28th, 2019. Specific dates are flexible.
The Marine Animal Rescue Team primarily rehabilitates sick or injured endangered sea turtles, and responds to dolphins, whales, porpoises, and seals in the field. Established in 1968, the Marine Animal Rescue Team has responded to thousands of calls of stranded, injured and diseased marine animals throughout the New England coastal region.
Turtle Emergency Response Volunteers are needed from mid-November through the end of the year to aid in the Marine Animal Rescue Team’s response to the busy New England sea turtle stranding season. During this period, the team will intake and provide critical care for anywhere from 100-700 cold-stunned sea turtles.
- A significant amount of cleaning is required in order to maintain the hospital environment. Volunteers are responsible for cleaning floors and surfaces, laundry, etc.
- Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- preparing animal diets,
- restraining animals for treatments and injections,
- maintaining records including water quality, daily food intake, and swim charts
- Previous animal handling, medical, or emergency response experience is preferred. (Please note these experiences in your volunteer profile).
- Must be in good physical condition and able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to perform significant cleaning tasks daily.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
1. Successfully pass a screening process and interview with the Office of Volunteer Programs & Internships
2. Complete two full day (8:00am to 6:00pm) training shifts between Jan 6th and Feb 28 2019.
This position is not located in Boston and is at our Animal Care Center located along the Fore River in Quincy. Transportation to this facility is easiest by car but one can also reach the facility by public transportation. Public transportation requires taking the Redline to Quincy Center, transferring to bus, and walking about 5 minutes.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: