Marine Mammal Internship
Apply now for: Fall 2019
Time commitment: 3 to 4 Days Per Week (8:00am-5:00pm) for 14 weeks.
The Marine Mammal Department maintains two outdoor pinniped exhibits featuring Atlantic harbor seals, California sea lions, and northern fur seals. The Marine Mammal Internship Program is designed to be a career learning experience and is best suited for individuals serious about careers in marine mammal training. The department seeks candidates that work well independently and as a team. Interns assist training staff in all aspects of animal care with a strong emphasis on operant conditioning, training techniques and marine mammal husbandry. Although this position does not involve feeding or training the seals, interns work in close proximity to the animals and are an integral part of all daily activities.
Interns are incorporated into the daily activities of the Marine Mammal Department including:
- Assisting trainers during training sessions and presentations
- Daily diet preparation
- Cleaning exhibits , behind the scenes areas, and all items used in training and enrichment sessions
- Creating toys and enrichment activities for the animals
- Conducting enrichment sessions
- Option of speaking in public presentations
- Interact informally with Aquarium visitors
- Mentorship with training staff
- Readings and activities related to training and husbandry topics
- Behavioral observations
- Individual project
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old and have a serious interest in a career in mammal training
- Interns must feel comfortable bending and walking on uneven and wet terrain and be able to lift 50 lbs
- The job involves a substantial amount of cleaning with various cleaning agents
- Our exhibits are outdoors so interns must be comfortable being exposed to all weather conditions
*Note: This position is not available for the winter internships. Additionally, this internship has different Fall and Spring time commitments (14 weeks) than our other internships (12 weeks).
For Fall 2019: Please apply here.
Visit: Frequently Asked Questions
Applications should be submitted by*:
Spring: December 15th
Summer: January 31st
May 1st for the: Marine Mammal, Penguin Colony, Marine Mammal, and Sea Turtle Rescue, and Human Resources internships.
June 1st for all others
Winter: October 16th
*Priority given to candidates applying by this date. Full application details available here.