Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Apply Now! Marine Mammals Husbandry Volunteer
Apply Now for limited Weekday and Weekend Openings
Time Commitment: One full day (8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) per week for a period of 6 months
Summary: The Marine Mammal Department maintains two outdoor pinniped exhibits featuring Atlantic harbor seals, northern fur seals, and California sea lions. Volunteers assist training staff in all aspects of animal care and have the opportunity to learn more about operant conditioning, training techniques and marine mammal husbandry. Although this position does not involve feeding or training the seals, volunteers play an integral role assisting staff during training sessions and presentations, and work in close proximity to the animals.
· Volunteers are incorporated into the daily activities of the Marine Mammal Department including:
- Diet preparation
- Cleaning exhibits and behind the scenes areas
- Scrubbing and disinfecting items used during training sessions
- Assisting trainers during training sessions and presentations
- Creating toys for the animals
- Conducting enrichment sessions
- Option of speaking in public presentations
- Interact informally with Aquarium visitors
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old.
- Volunteers must feel comfortable bending and walking on uneven and wet terrain and be able to lift 50 lbs.
- The job involves a substantial amount of cleaning with various cleaning agents.
- Our exhibits are outdoors so volunteers must be comfortable being exposed to all weather conditions.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: