Age Minimum (with Adult):18+, Minimum Age:18+
Apply Now! Marine Mammals Diver Volunteer
Apply Now for Limited Weekday Openings
Time commitment: 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. one morning per week for a period of 6 months
Summary: Volunteer divers will assist the Marine Mammal Department staff in the underwater care and maintenance of various marine mammal exhibits and holding areas that feature our Atlantic harbor seals, northern fur seals, and California sea lions.
NOTE: Candidates MUST be SCUBA certified from a nationally recognized dive training program at the time of application.
- Maintenance work includes window washing, scrubbing, and vacuuming of exhibit rock work, walls, and floors with brushes, scrub pads and/or motorized scrubbers, and soft mesh material.
- Divers must be able to communicate clearly with all staff as well as follow written or verbal instructions.
- Dives may or may not take place while animals are on exhibit.
- Volunteer divers may dive solo on exhibit with a surface tender or with another diver.
- SCUBA certification by a nationally recognized dive training program.
- Must have logged a minimum of fifteen (15) open water dives, at least five (5) of which must have taken place in the last twelve (12) months. These dives are in addition to certification checkout dives
- Medical clearance to dive based on requirements outlined in NEAq Medical Dive Forms.
- Completion of a Giant Ocean Tank checkout dive under the supervision of the NEAq Dive Safety Officer.
- Ability to work in various climates throughout the year.
- Ability to walk on wet, slippery surfaces in full scuba gear and must be able to list forty (40) pounds unassisted.
- Physical demands may also include bending, stooping, repetitive motion, lifting, reaching, climbing and swimming.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: