Aquarist Intern, Floating Galleries
Apply now for: Summer 2020, Fall 2020
12-16 Weeks. Saturdays and Sundays
Floating Galleries aquarist interns assist staff with basic husbandry responsibilities of the New England Aquarium’s Tropical, Temperate, Northern Waters, Freshwater, and Yawkey Coral Reef Galleries. The Galleries are home to animals of various Atlantic Northeast, Pacific Northwest, Caribbean, Indo-Pacific, and Amazon River Basin ecosystems. Interns have the opportunity to learn more about the daily care of animals while discovering the design and vision of aquarium exhibits.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide daily care, maintenance, and assist with the appearance of the gallery
- Cleaning exhibit windows
- Taking and recording temperatures
- Monitoring water quality
- Food preparation and feeding
- Cleaning filters and siphoning from tanks
- Organizing and cleaning behind the scenes
- Assist with enrichment activities for the octopus
- Maintain live food cultures
- Attend professional development sessions with the Volunteer Programs and Internships office
- The ability to climb multiple flights of stairs
- Physically able to lift 50 lbs
- Capable of working independently and as a team
- Able to take and carry out multiple instructions in a timely manner
- Must be comfortable working with animal food items
The New England Aquarium’s mission is to protect the blue planet through hands-on programs, live animal and interactive exhibits, public lectures and forums, and research and conservation projects.
This mission is fulfilled through exhibits, and through education, conservation and research programs. Exhibits showcase the diversity, importance and beauty of aquatic life and habitats, and highlight critical aquatic conservation issues. Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue, and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience; seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community; adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship; and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, caring and action.
The Cold Marine staff support the New England Aquarium’s mission to protect the blue planet by creating and maintaining exhibits that encourage the public to care about the ocean and to become involved in conservation.
Visit: Frequently Asked Questions