Research in Earth Science Data Intern
Apply now for: Fall 2019/Winter 2019/2020
This is a satellite position
2-4 hours per week
Research in Earth Science Data for quantitative marine conservation. The quantitative conservation group at the New England Aquarium seeks an intern to compile details on earth orbiting satellite data, climate timeseries data, and earth system model outputs that may be applicable to marine ecosystem models.
- Search scientific literature to determine which earth science data products have been used to address problems in marine conservation
- Compile a database of earth science data
- Write short computer programs
- Experience working with one or more programming languages (Matlab, R, Python)
- Experience downloading and plotting earth science datasets, such as NASA MODIS-Aqua data
- B.A. or B.S. degree in physical or biological sciences.
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Ability to work within a team and to incorporate suggestions from individual team members
- Interest in furthering their knowledge of, and skills in, quantitative marine conservation
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Docs
The New England Aquarium’s mission is to protect the blue planet through hands-on programs, live animal and interactive exhibits, public lectures and forums, and research and conservation projects.
This mission is fulfilled through exhibits, and through education, conservation and research programs. Exhibits showcase the diversity, importance and beauty of aquatic life and habitats, and highlight critical aquatic conservation issues. Programs emphasize species, habitats and issues critical to New England. The Aquarium is also a pioneer in marine animal rescue, and a leading ocean conservation organization with research scientists working around the globe.
The New England Aquarium serves as a responsive community resource that attracts and involves the broadest possible audience; seeks a culturally diverse staff and governing board that reflect our community; adheres to the highest standards of animal stewardship; and is committed to delivering the highest quality visitor experience in a welcoming and enjoyable manner that evokes wonder, curiosity, understanding, caring and action.
To Apply: If you have not registered an account, please click here and register an account, then click “Submit an Application.” If you already have an account, please enter in your login information.