Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Apply Now: Marine Mammal Education Volunteer
Marine Mammal Education Volunteer
Recruiting for: Summer 2019
Time commitment: 5 hour training and a commitment of at least 6 three hour shifts by October 1 2019.
Summary: Marine Mammal Center Educators are ambassadors, representing the New England Aquarium by engaging visitors of all ages and backgrounds in one on one conversation about our fur seals and sea lions. Don't know a lot about marine mammals or how to talk to visitors? Don't worry! We provide training and mentorship to prepare volunteers with all the fun facts, information and teaching tips needed to become a highly engaging Visitor Educator.
Responsibilities: Answer questions from the public, initiate conversations with visitors, and work with fun biofacts. Training is required and available free of charge to volunteers and includes topics such as marine mammal behavior, husbandry, basic biology, conservation and climate change concerns, visitor safety, public speaking skills, and communicating effectively with different age groups.
Attend a training class on Saturday, May 11th or Wednesday, May 15th from 10:00am to 2:00pm
Completion of at least 6 three-hour volunteer shifts by October 1, 2019
- Must have enthusiasm and interest in meeting and working with a high volume of aquarium visitors daily
- Willingness to learn about fur seals and sea lions and their exhibit
Must be able to communicate effectively in noisy and crowded conditions
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be comfortable moving up and down stairs throughout the day
- Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds
- Our fur seal and sea lion exhibit is outdoors so volunteers must be comfortable being exposed to all weather conditions.
- Age Requirements: at least 18 years old.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: