Age Minimum (with Adult):18+, Minimum Age:18+
Apply Now! Rescue & Rehabilitation - Field Response Volunteer
Field Stranding Response Volunteer
Next training: May 2017
*We are looking for volunteers in the following areas:*
Summary: The Rescue Department responds to reports of live and dead stranded seals, dolphins, whales and sea turtles. We rely on a network of trained volunteers to be first responders at stranding sites. Volunteers act as our “eyes and ears” on the beach, reporting information, including species and health of the animal, so that we can make decisions on the best course of action.
· Travel to stranding sites and identify species and location of stranded animals.
· Conduct health assessments of live animals to determine if they are injured, sick or in good health.
· Collect data, including measurements and sex, from dead animals.
· Provide photos and information about stranded animals to the Rescue Department.
· Interact with people at stranding sites to answer questions and maintain a perimeter around the animal.
· MUST have access to a car and camera.
Must be at least 18 years old.
· Must be able to walk on uneven ground and lift moderate weight.
· Must be calm under pressure and be able to report situation objectively.
· Must live within a 30 minute car ride of the ocean (bays, estuaries or coves included).
· Previous animal handling experience preferred.
** Due to the inherent risk in working with wild animals, which can carry diseases and bacteria, this position is not recommended for applicants who are immune-compromised or pregnant.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: