Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Apply Now! American Lobster Aquaculture Volunteer
Accepting Applications for Waitlist
Time commitment: One full day (8:00 am.-5:00 p.m.) per week for a period of 6 months
Summary: American lobsters are a cultural icon and one of the most important fisheries in New England. But did you know it takes a lobster 7 years to grow to 1 pound (the legal harvest size)? At the New England Aquarium, larval and juvenile lobsters are raised in a small hatchery and then used in experiments, which have focused on growth, nutrition, and disease.
- Must have a desire to learn how to care for hundreds of juvenile lobsters in a small research setting.
- Daily tasks include observing, recording data, and feeding all lobsters in the research collection, collecting and counting newly hatched larvae, changing filters, and cleaning tanks.
- Opportunities to become a more active participant in ongoing research may become available, but are subject to current progress, research scope, and supervisor discretion.
- Strong interest in working with animals in a research environment.
- Must have basic computer skills, be able to follow written protocols, and work independently.
- Must be comfortable working in a wet laboratory environment, and willing to get dirty.
- Good attention to detail is essential.
- Prior lobster experience is not necessary.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: